Thursday, August 23, 2012

Waldorf Schools on television, computers, etc.

I didn't grow up with a television in the house. And I've chosen not to have a television in the home now that I have a young child. I know there are good things on TV. But kids like to play with remote controls, and when they start changing channels, they begin to be exposed to a lot of things that change them, and chip away at their innocence.

So I was glad to see that Waldorf schools recommend no television for young children. But then I saw that they also would prefer young children not be exposed to computers...or recorded music. Hmmm...

My son likes music very much, and as I don't have much of a singing voice, or an instrument here at home that I can play, he would not get to hear music if we didn't play CDs sometimes and watch YouTube clips of Frank Sinatra and Bette Midler.

But maybe it doesn't mean no recorded music ever. Maybe it means that there shouldn't be music playing in the home and in the car all the time -- because that makes it harder to hear. And if kids can't hear, they can't learn language. I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment