Friday, August 31, 2012

Thinking About the Small Things

As I think about opening this school, I'm thinking about a lot of big things: planting the trees, putting in the playground, installing a dishwasher... But I'm also studying pictures online of Waldorf preschool classrooms, and trying to think small. I'm thinking about corners of rooms and what interesting little things should be in them, and how a child might want to play there. I just love this picture I found of a little pre-school classroom at the Portland Waldorf School in Milwaukie, Oregon. The mom who posted it on her blog responded to my e-mail request and said she wouldn't mind me using it at all.

As with most Waldorf pre-schools, the toys are mostly made of wood, or other natural materials, and are purposely plain, so that the child can use his own imagination in playing with them. The walls are also important. Rudolf Steiner, whose philosophy of learning Walforf schools follow, believed that in early childhood, in particular, the environment should be homelike, with warm pastel colors used.

No comments:

Post a Comment